Monday, February 4, 2008

Day Two in America - 3 February 2008


Today, Sunday, was a day of firstly going to 'Bagelicious'. My host family, Sam (who works at Naugatuck Valley Community College), his wife Sharon and their son Andrew, took me to the Bagel bar. I had to drive; it was my first 'driving lesson' in my hire car. I had an onion bagel (toasted) with creme cheese and olives. It was very good. I would recommend a diet of bagels to anyone, but you have to get them here. The ones in the UK are not good by comparison!


In terms of driving, so far, so good. I didn't kill anyone! I've learned a lot about the driving rules, and the 4-way stops.

I did nearly drive (right turn) to the left lane, but we straightened up immediately. I went shopping with Sharon, for food that I might want during my stay. The supermarket was 'stop and shop'.

The obligatory photos of me American shopping...























After Bagelicious, home, then Target for a Tracfone. I can call anyone from this cell phone in the US and it's a lot less expensive. However, I cannot phone the UK, so it's good old Skype for that.

More driving lessons. We went to New Haven, to the train station, as I will be driving there to get the train to New York at the weekend.

3 comments:

Richard Booth said...

I Noticed that you stocked up on the essentials: Chocolate!

Caroline Thornton said...

I hope you are bringing back plenty of Hershey's chocolate bars to share around!

SRB said...

As Abi's host for her two week visit I wanted to share with everyone what a warm and considerate guest she has been. Abi has not only charmed my family but everyone in the various community colleges with whom she has been in contact. On a personal note, her experience has inspired me to seek my own job shadowing in September 2008 with an academic Library Director at a university in Mexico.

Dr. Samuel R. Brown
Director of Library Services
Naugatuck Valley Community College
Waterbury, CT
USA
sbrown@nvcc.commnet.edu